Herringston House

Herringston House
Herringston House in the spring [James Purkiss 1999]

Herringston House

Situated in wooded parkland next to the South Winterbourne river is the 14th century Herringston House, in the continuous ownership of the Williams family since 1512 [English Heritage 2004]. The building has a date of 1572 on one of the gables. Originally a courtyard house, the wing on the north side of the court was demolished in the early 19th century. A new gothic fašade in Portland ashlar was added by Thomas Leverton, including a battlemented centre and two gables facing the former east and west sides of the courtyard [English Heritage 2004, Newman & Pevsner 1972]. The house is well-known for the Jacobean great chamber with its barrel-vaulted ceiling, dateable to between 1612 and 1618 [Newman & Pevsner 1972, Bingham 1987].

The census indicates that the following people were resident at the time of the census enumerators' visits: